Will You Pull A Paolini?

Discussion in 'Indie Writing, Publishing & Marketing Discussion' started by Adambo, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Adambo

Adambo New Member

For anyone who doesn't know, Christopher Paolini wrote the very successful Inheritance series, which include Eragon, Eldest, Brisinger, and now Inheritance itself. Paolini started off just like we did- as a self published author. However, he quickly became quite popular, and is now one of the most well known authors of this generation. His first book was even made into a movie. Do you think this could happen to you as well? If it did, would you give up self publishing for a traditional publisher?

2. Chautona

Chautona New Member

I have one book that I think has a mass market appeal and actually would be a GREAT Christmas movie. I know that sounds full of myself, but I don't see the point in hiding it. It's Christmas with a unique perspective on a major point of Santa and a fun story.

For that reason, I plan to try to go the traditional route with it. If I could get the hang of writing scripts, I'd do it. In a heartbeat. I just can't seem to get the "feel" for scriptwriting.

3. Anya Yana

Anya Yana New Member

Chautona, I love your post!
    Screenwriting is amazing. I love it.

No, seriously. It is our mindset which will truly make us succeed.

We must believe that we can succeed. Another author from the Christian Writers forum just got a movie deal. She made a post about it, and the secret was in her post.
    She wrote, "I saw what happened to Amanda Hocking and told myself if she can do it, so can I."
    I honestly think this is the key. She wrote five hours a day, and she marketed herself three hours a day.
    I want the control over my stuff. I don't think I am made for Trad. Pubbing!

4. Michael J Scott

Michael J Scott New Member

I'm more of a Joe Konrath perspective on succeeding than an Amanda Hocking. Not that there's anything wrong with the success of either Ms. Hocking or Mr. Paolini. But I don't expect it.

What I expect to do is build a consistent, loyal following over several years by selling many, many different books, as opposed to selling many books of the same kind. I think this will produce far more enduring success in the long run.

5. hippiechyck

hippiechyck New Member

i have my cast all chosen :D seriously, that is a dream ;) but i would fight hard to retain complete control