Writing & Genre

Discussion in 'Indie Writing, Publishing & Marketing Discussion' started by GreenLeaf, Jan 9, 2012.

1. GreenLeaf

GreenLeaf New Member

Ok, let's get the ball rolling...

I'm currently working on s suspense/thriller novel, and was wondering if anyone else here is interested in this genre? If not, what do you write? What is your current work in progress about?

2. wgjones3

wgjones3 New Member

Definitely interested, one of my WIPs is a thriller. :)

3. Johne_Cook

Johne_Cook New Member

I like space opera, golden age sci-fi, fantasy, noir / thriller, and mashups of all those. (Steven Brust did a SF/Noir mashup with his Vlad Taltos series, and Alex Bledsoe did a Fantasy/Noir mashup with his Eddie LaCrosse series. A. Lee Martinez mashed up golden age Sci-Fi and Noir with 'The Automatic Detective,' and it's one of my favorite one-off novels of all time.)

writersprite likes this.
  4. Traci B

Traci B New Member

I've dabbled in fantasy (two NaNo novels drafted and awaiting revision) and mystery (a couple of ghostwriting projects), and my first novel is contemporary fiction with a Christian worldview, a dash of romance and some suspense. Editing and e-publishing that novel is my next major project, if I can ever quit reading blog posts, flitting around forums and job hunting long enough to work on it. ;)

writersprite likes this.
  5. ShawnLamb

ShawnLamb New Member

I have books published (traditional & self) in 2 genres - YA fantasy series called Allon and Christian historical fiction titled The Huguenot Sword. My books are available in paper and on both Kindle and Nook. No, I'm not a Kindle Select author, I refuse to give Amazon exclusive rights to my books. I plan on release a couple of more books this year.

6. Michael J Scott

Michael J Scott New Member

Ooh, suspense thriller is pretty much my whole ball of wax, though I do slip occasionally into action-adventure and drama.

My current WIP is called Eye of Darkness. It is a fantasy-psychothriller. Kinda like CSI: Middle Earth (except, of course, there's no CSI and it ain't Middle Earth, but you get the idea).

7. writersprite

writersprite New Member

I cannot get enough of writing Romance and/or fantasy, sometimes even in the same book!

To Save a Soul, my first indie book and a winner of the 2008 NaNoWriMo, is a paranormal fantasy suitable for ages 13+, though I did not target YA.

This year I am goal'd to release three or four more titles, all of which are romances under the final stages of revision. Titles: Of Damsels and Dragons, The Story, My Fair Princess, Searching for Sara.

Next year I hope to release the first book of my epic fantasy series, Resurrected Honor and perhaps even To Save a Soul's sequel, Silver and Iron. I definitely hope to release book one of my sci-fi/military series, Bookworms and... Booya!, but I haven't yet set my eye to 2013 because I want to see how well I do with my goals for this year. :) Maybe I can get started on the books slated for 2013 in Q3 or Q4 of 2012? That would rock so hard!

8. Adambo

Adambo New Member

9. RebeccaPMinor

RebeccaPMinor New Member

I write pretty much exclusively fantasy right now. I like to think of it as "clean" fantasy rather than specifically Christian, but the Christian themes do crop up. I'd like to try my hand at writing screenplays at some point, but there are only so many hours in the day, you know?

10. PaulineCreeden

PaulineCreeden New Member

My book is a suspense/thriller set in a sci/fi space-opera atmosphere. It's very light on the sci-fi, I'd say.

11. Tiffany

Tiffany New Member

I write YA fantasy and children's book and scripts, pretty much equal time for all.

Tiffany

12. ShawnLamb

ShawnLamb New Member

Rebecca & Tiffany, if either of you are interested, I started a series last week on my blog called From Book to Screen, where I take my Hollywood screenwriting experience and discuss the process of book adaptations. I started with the overview and the book/movie option contract, now I on the screenplay. I'll be giving tips and posting examples of which adaptation worked and which didn't by comparing the movie to the original book.
    http://allonbooks-thekingdomofallon.blogspot.com

RebeccaPMinor likes this.
  13. writersprite

writersprite New Member

Sounds like fantasy from a Christian world view. :) I look forward to reading your work!

RebeccaPMinor likes this.
  14. RebeccaPMinor

RebeccaPMinor New Member

Thanks for letting me know about this! Hopefully I can take a look over there during my day today. Sounds like good material to delve into--I appreciate your willingness to share your experience.