Writing Schedule

Discussion in 'Indie Writing, Publishing & Marketing Discussion' started by dogbone61, Jan 14, 2012.

1. dogbone61

dogbone61 New Member

2. silumenye

silumenye New Member

I always had trouble writing much. And then, one day, I discovered Nanowrimo. I did not make the 50k that month. However, I decided to try each month whether I could get 50k. Eventually, after trying for four months, I made it. Since then - about three years ago now - I have very seldom failed to get 50k per month. One month, I even got 120k - I still don't know how.... :D

3. dogbone61

dogbone61 New Member

4. RebeccaPMinor

RebeccaPMinor New Member

Since I am on deadline now with my novel, I have been trying to work through about 2 or 3k or editing 3 or 4 weeknights, and then get a good 10-15k edited over the weekends. For the past month and a half, that has worked pretty well, and I managed to get through a major overhaul and line edits of a 130,000 word novel in a little under two months. I would like to work faster than that, but having a day job and a family makes that unrealistic.

I'm impressed by folks who get up to NaNo speed. I keep telling myself I'm going to do NaNo, but life has informed me this is not the phase in which I am allowed to entertain such whims. ;)

5. Michael J Scott

Michael J Scott New Member

I'm aiming for 10K words a week. If I don't make it one week, I have to make up for it the following week. If I get ahead, I can bank it for future weeks (like vacations).

I work nights also, but I have time available during them to crank out some serious verbage (assuming I don't get distracted by watching TV or playing minesweeper). This helps me stay on track.

If you haven't tried NaNo yet, I'd encourage it. I use an excel spreadsheet to keep track of my count and calculate how much more I have to go to reach my goal each week. It's turning out to be a very effective discipline. I have too many stories to tell to not ramp up my word count. If it takes me a year to write a single book, I'll be in my nineties before I get the ones written I currently have in mind, let alone any new ones I come up with between now and then.

6. dogbone61

dogbone61 New Member

7. Michael J Scott

Michael J Scott New Member

BIC! It's the only way to succeed. :)